Sunday, March 16, 2008

there is going to be a reckoning...

...tomorrow, my mid-term presentation is due. I have some image elements made but barely the beginnings of a 2-3 minute video in process. I want to change my thesis statement. Apparently this is a normal state of mind for others in this situation and of course for me, the queen of indecision. Here is the statement as of now:

The quilt, as a contemporary art form, can be created in non-textile media and retain the fundamental elements and qualities associated with traditional quilt making.

My instructor, based on my understanding of his advice, cautions me not to merely create interesting motion graphics, i.e., animated 3D quilt blocks flying in space. I think he also has concerns about the proficiency of my technical skills. Yes, I am still a novice on the edge of intermediate level ability. But I'm up for a challenge and I believe I always have solid conceptual ideas backed up by reasonable research efforts.

The focus of the non-linear narrative will be on the personal investment a quilter, or any artist, imbues into a creation via exploration of various themes. These include global causes, gender roles, spirituality, etc. I will focus on identity and personal power. These are inextricably tied to memory, family, and tradition. These are all themes common to quilt and artmaking.

No comments: