Thursday, March 20, 2008

it ain't jellin

I received helpful feedback following my mid-term thesis presentation. It is interesting how one gets so bogged down in a project you totally can't see obvious technical and conceptual flaws. Fresh perspective in the form of constructive criticism is so helpful. I wish I had a full time mentor or critic on call for guidance.

I wonder if there ever comes a point as an artist where the fundamentals become almost second nature and most of the effort and focus can be placed on the ideas and not design principles and technique.
I won't give up despite my frustration over lack of professional and technical proficiency.

2 comments:

KrisMC said...

Remember in your artistic endeavors that some criticism is timely and required for your continued growth. However, some may be based on negative motives of the critic and therefore invalid to your work.

Keep only the critiques that help you and forget the others!

And don't let your "inner critic" retain the bad stuff either. (The inner critic is usually the harshest of all!)

Ellen Jane said...

yes, the inner critic is always the harshest