Thursday, April 24, 2008

forget art, pretty pictures and flowers are more fun


I went to the Denver Botanic Gardens on Tuesday, Earth Day. I took over 200 pictures with my new Nikon point and shoot - not a DSLR alas, but I think it is great anyway. My mission was to take pictures of the art on display for the Urban Nature exhibition to use in a video class project. I'm refining a promotional motion piece.
It was a lovely day despite the crowds due to free admission. I'm not a skilled photographer but I could happily spend a lifetime snapping pix of all the plants and garden areas. I particularly like the contrast of colors and textures between the spring blooms and the still bare remnants of fall and winter plants.
I was happy to recognize plants there that exist in my own yard. I planted some perennials and a few pansies on Sunday. I am normally cautious of frost and wait until Memorial Day to plant but I couldn't resist the temptation of playing in the garden for a couple of hours. Over the years the backyard has developed nicely. The goal is to have extensive color during every season throughout the whole space.
Steve has been a contractor of custom concrete for several landscapers. One of them drew up a plan to revamp our front yard. Time and funding constraints have put this on hold for awhile.
Anyway, going to the Botanic Gardens never fails to make me almost giddy with happiness. It is a great escape.

No comments: