Saturday, May 24, 2008

Inspiring Impressionism

My sis and I finally made it to the DAM exhibition on the closing weekend. The concept seems like a no brainer, but hey, seeing a great selection of Impressionistic works along with Hals, Botticelli, Velasquez, Fragonard, etc., works for me. When I was a teenager I thought Renoir was it. As one becomes more educated and sophisticated (ha) tastes supposedly evolve. I was surprised how much I loved Renoir's Confidences and Monet's Still Life with Fruit and Flowers. Perhaps one gains more thoughtful appreciation for the things one likes upon first impression (no pun intended). Yes, these are particularly luminescent paintings. My sis and I always comment how much reproductions pale in comparison to originals. Conclusion: see art in person as much as possible.

Link to Getty Museum

Link to Portland Museum of Art

No comments: